Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a limewash effect on kitchen cabinetry?

JennP
Finding My Feet

How to get a limewash effect on kitchen cabinetry?

can someone tell me how you get this effect on the bottom cabinets? Is it a type of antique wash? The 1st photo is the effect in after and the 2nd is my existing kitchen. Many thanks for your suggestions.

1000007397.jpg

1000007389.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a limewash effect on kitchen cabinetry?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JennP. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about limewashing timber.

You might like to check out this wonderful guide: How to upcycle a chest of drawers. It would be a very similar process for your cabinetry. However, you can see the end result after three coats, which is more of a semi-translucent coating. From your inspiration image, it looks more like an opaque coating, but that could just be the lighting. Unfortunately, three coats are about all you can put on of these products as you'll overload the timber, and you can run into issues, such as solvent entrapment. This results in a cloudy look and can cause the coatings to fail.

If you used the Feast Watson 1L Liming White instead of the Feast Watson 250ml Liming White Satin Stain & Varnish, you could likely achieve a more opaque look before reaching a level where the coating could be compromised. You'd then need to apply a varnish separately for protection.

Let me mention @Renowayoflife to see if she has any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to get a limewash effect on kitchen cabinetry?

Thank you for these tips. Very much appreciated 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects