Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sunken laminate floorboards?

Needhelpplease
Just Starting Out

How to fix sunken laminate floorboards?

Hi,

When we renovated the kitchen 10 years ago our builders installed laminate floating floorboards over concrete (that use to have tiles).

They used plywood to level the floor...   the floor now feels hollow in few places.

Some boards have moved and one sunk...

kitchen floor.jpgkitchen floorboard .jpg

Wondering what can be done to repair this floor?

Is something like what is suggested in the video possible ? will it work ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5o1N3WdkI

Thank you for your help and advice!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix sunken laminate floorboards?

Hi @Needhelpplease

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your home improvement projects from our wonderful members. 

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible. Please note that there might be a delay in getting back to you as we have a team member on leave today. 

Let me tag a few other helpful members to see if they might be able to share their thoughts: @Nailbag@Jewelleryrescue@TedBear.   

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Needhelpplease 

The link to a possible solution @Jason has suggested is definitely worth a crack. Other than that I don't have a simple solution unfortunately because floating floorboards can't simply be replaced. You need to work back from the nearest edge but removing the boards, rectifying the issue and refitting the boards again.

Nailbag

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Needhelpplease,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Anything besides removing the floorboards and starting again would likely be a temporary solution.

As you've indicated the builder used plywood directly over concrete, this plywood has likely rotted causing cavities beneath the floorboards.

I suppose you could use a Trojan Single Cup Suction Holder, syringe and Dunlop 5kg Floor Repairer Rapid Patch Mortar and follow the steps in your video, however, I'm not sure how long it would last.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Hi @Needhelpplease 

@JacobZ  idea is  solid  the hard  part is getting that patch mortar under the sagging floor.  The timber floor board  video should help too but I never fixed this issue .

I wonder if that suction  cup will work?  I never tried it so  I really want to know as it has good  merrits.

Bascally  the under floor is  toast possibly due to water on top of the flooring seeping in from a spill pr other.

I Hope the tempary fix  works to make you floor ok a gain for another  10 years. Another  reason I like stone and tiles.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects