Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve walk-in pantry?

rebelliouskiwi
Just Starting Out

How to improve walk-in pantry?

We bought a house and it has this pokey pantry with metal shelving which I don't like, I have the same ones in my garage and they are sharp.    Any suggestions for this space?   I was wondering if those metal poles (sorry, not sure what they are called), where you put brackets into and put shelving on. Then brackets can be adjusted to suit with ease.     The measurements of the space is .875m wide by 1.121m deep.    I'd like wooden shelves.  And definitely need the cheapest way i can do it. It's overwhelming looking online at ideas with so many sizes. It's our first project, but this current pantry is not working lol.  Any suggestions and links would be much appreciated.  

1000007344.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve walk-in pantry?

Hello @rebelliouskiwi 

Thanks for sharing your question about your walk-in pantry. Using timber shelves would in essence maximize space use inside your pantry and if painted in a bright colour would give the illusion that it is not so cramped. It's even possible to put in a timber benchtop to add to the styling of the space. Please allow me some time to draw up a quick sketch to give you an idea of how it can be done. As soon as I finish the render, I'll post it here.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rebelliouskiwi 

Thank you for your patience. I propose using Specrite 1800 x 600 x 18mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel in combination with 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m. You can paint the shelves in white if your like or cover it with a clear sealer so that you can see the timber finish. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be laid out. this is a great opportunity for you to place the shelves where you want especially if you are placing the tall items at the very bottom. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, lease let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @rebelliouskiwi 

I think I know the shelving you are mentioning and can picture it in my head.

Flexi Storage Home Solutions 2133mm White Double Slot Wall Strip 

with

Flexi Storage Home Solutions 300mm White Single Slot Bracket 

I am pretty sure you can get shorter brackets then 300mm, Im actually thinking 250mm to give you most space to walk into the room. I would also only stick the shelving to one wall, going around the wall like EricL has gives more shelving but I like the one clean wall type deal :smile:

The tiimber that @EricL mentions is the same type as to what I would use for the shelves. 

I also like what @EricL has for the bench and would definently go that way.

If you keep your eyes out a lot of people get rid of those type of shelving I am thinking of. (The big blue F marketplace and Sometimes second hand stores also have the rails. You just run into the problem of getting matching brackets for the rails is all

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @rebelliouskiwi 

You could definitely can some additional storage with @EricL plan as it at least gives full width to the back wall. Is there anything behind the right wall that you could potentially stall some cavity space from. Often renovating is all about repurposing space from one area to a more important other space.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects