Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rust spots in the evaporation dish of a steam oven?

newbeginner
Growing in Experience

How to fix rust spots in the evaporation dish of a steam oven?

So my 3 year old oven had developed a rust spot and two more developing spots where the water is heated to created steam. The warranter claims it's due to impact. Yeh cos the solution is to replace the oven, $6000!

I'm wondering if there is a spot enamel product that is heat resistant to say 300°C that I can apply to stop the rust and fill the slight hole?

I found this product but wondered if there is a better solution?

1000009447.jpg

1000009448.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix rust spots in the evaporation dish of a steam oven?

Hello @newbeginner 

Thank you for sharing your question about fixing a rust spot in your steam oven.

I'm sorry, but I can't recommend any type of high heat paint as they are not food safe. I can however suggest a traditional remedy and that is mixing Glitz 1kg Bi-Carb Cleaner and water to create a thick paste. Use this paste on the rust spot and scrub it with a toothbrush. Repeat the process a few times until you get the majority of the rust off. 

It's not a permanent fix, but it will slow the rust process down. You'll need to repeat this cleaning process when the rust starts to get show up again. My best advice is to place aluminium foil at the bottom when you are using the oven to prevent steam damage. 

I also recommend looking into the option of hiring a professional oven repair firm to see if they can repair the rust spot.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects