Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix kitchen sink drain blockage?

Doona1
Just Starting Out

How to fix kitchen sink drain blockage?

Hello,

I am having some issues with my kitchen sink draining.  I have used drain cleaning products, soda and vinegar.  I have taken the u pipe (not sure of the name) off and cleaned it.  Whilst that is off, I have slowly poured hot water down the pipe and nothing backs up.  I feel the water is not moving through that U pipe section quickly enough and is just sitting there.

The blockage seems to become an issue regularly and no plumber seems to want to come and look at the problem.

sink 1.JPGsink 3.JPGsink.JPG

Is there anything I can do to change the setup to help with the problem?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen sink drainage issue

Morning @Doona1 

You sound like you've done everything you can inside. Any other sinks and vanities having draining issues? I'm no plumber - but I'm thinking the issue could be outside.

New or old home?

Doona1
Just Starting Out

This is only happening at the kitchen sink and old home

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Doona1,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see that @Noyade has already jumped in to assist.

I'm sorry to say that unfortunately, since you've already tried everything I would advise when troubleshooting poor drainage, the issue is likely related to the set-up of your pipes or a blockage somewhere else in the system.

Due to the licenced and regulated nature of the plumbing profession, I wouldn't advise doing your own investigation and rectification work.

I'd suggest you use a service like HiPages or True Local to contact a plumber local to your area.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects