Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged benchtop and cabinetry?

alana2286
Community Newcomer

How to fix damaged benchtop and cabinetry?

IMG_0918.jpeg

Hi all! 

just wondering how I can fix this kitchen bench top? Would I need to hire someone or can be done by myself?? I’m not sure what material the bench top is… 

secondly the kitchen cabinet too in photo 

thank you!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix damaged benchtop and cabinetry?

Hi @alana2286,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

Without knowing what the benchtop is, it would be hard to give you a great solution. 

Is there a noticeable chip missing from the edge of the benchtop? Or is it a depression like it has been squished? Does it feel like stone? Or a plasticky material?

The damage to the cabinet front looks small enough that you can likely just paint it to match the surrounds. You could even use this Empire White Liquid Paint Marker to simply colour it in.

If you wanted a perfect repair for the cabinet, you could replace the door with a new vinyl wrap door to match.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions to ask or details to add, please feel free to add them.

Jacob

alana2286
Community Newcomer

Thank you so much, that was really helpful. In regard to bench top, I would say it is more a depression /squished vs something being chipped off. It resembles more stone than anything else. I’ve uploaded another photo of that helps! 

Hi @alana2286,

It's hard to tell from your images, but there's a good chance this is a composite or engineered stone benchtop, and you should not be sanding it, even with PPE. Sanding engineered stone can lead to silicosis.

Even if it were a natural stone or other material, it's best to have a professional perform the repair. They often use techniques and fillers that are outside the realm of D.I.Y. If you are looking for an unnoticeable repair, I'd recommend you go that route and not attempt the repair yourself.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects