Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a loose kitchen tap handle that keeps falling off?

kdar
Just Starting Out

How to fix a loose kitchen tap handle that keeps falling off?

Hi there.

I read this: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Kitchen/How-to-fix-a-kitchen-tap-handle-that-keeps-falling-o...

But I am not sure how to tighten the nut? Looks like I need a new handle?

History and what happened: I had to replace the cartridge (minor leaks) so I have pulled the handle relatively easily (WD40 and little pulling, etc). So, the new cartridge is installed and now the handle is loose obviously. I can't un-tighten or tighten the nut...Looks calcification or something? The nut is not going into the cartridge.

Please help if you can.01 Kitchen Tap Mixer - handle pic 1.jpg01 Kitchen Tap Mixer - handle pic 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a loose kitchen tap handle that keeps falling off?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kdar. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a tap handle.

Just so we are on the same page here, what needs to happen (though I understand it's proving difficult) is that the straight handle must be unscrewed from the tap head/cover. You'll then have access to insert an Allen key through the hole it was screwed into to tighten the grub screw down onto the white plastic fitting. Currently, the grub screw is backed right off in the cover.

I can see the score marks on the straight handle, so it looks like you've had a go at trying to unscrew it out of the cover. 

Unlike the other discussion, your grubscrew is hidden behind the straight handle, which must be removed first.

I'm sorry if you already knew all this; it's just important to know where we are at. So, is the issue now that you can't unscrew the straight handle from the head/cover?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

Yes :), you are spot on. The issue now is that I can't unscrew the straight handle from the head/cover.

Does that mean a new 45mm tap handle for $10-$15?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a bummer, @kdar.

Do you have a vice you could grip the head with, which you've wrapped a cloth around to protect? That might give you a better chance of undoing the handle. Tried some WD40 in the handle thread?

Getting replacement parts for a tap could be troublesome. If it's one of our brands, I'd be happy to contact the manufacturer for you.

Mitchell

Thanks.

Yeah, I did add WD40, but no success. No vice. I tried with an adjustable wrench. It is an Astivita old model.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it!

It is what it is. I've done a little bit of research so we'll see.

https://www.abiinteriors.com.au/product/handle-minimal-mixer-chrome/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/395600559081

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It might be worth considering replacing that tap if it came to that @kdar. You'd be well on the way to the cost of an Estilo 35mm Brushed Stainless Steel Side Pin Lever Sink Mixer - WELS 4 Star 7.5L/min.

The chrome appears to be slightly deteriorating in places on yours, so it would be nice to upgrade to a stainless steel mixer.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects