Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a burn mark on a kitchen benchtop?

JamieK
Just Starting Out

How to fix a burn mark on a kitchen benchtop?

Hi there,

I was wanting to know best method to fix / paint a burn mark on a laminate ledge / shelf without replacing the whole sheet.

The burn mark is from a tea light candleBurn.jpg

All advice is appreciated greatly

Thank you

JamieK

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix burned vinyl on my kitchen benchtop??

Hi @Fy,

I'd suggest having a read of @MitchellMc's advice on How to repair burnt kitchen benchtop?

As he has said, unfortunately, there is not a great deal you can do to repair this kind of thing and it would be extremely difficult to match the vinyl exactly. If you could find the manufacturer of the benchtop, you may be able to colour-match it to one of their products. 

The best cosmetic repair I can offer is to cut out and remove the burnt sections using a utility knife. Once removed, fill the voids with PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. Allow the epoxy to fully dry and then do your best to paint the patch to match.

Unfortunately, due to the speckled colour pattern, it is not possible to simply use one colour of paint. I'd suggest heading to your local store and grabbing a handful of colour cards to take home and compare.

Once you've selected some colours that you think will work, get the team at the Paint Desk to mix you up some sample pots and grab some touch-up brushes so you can do your best to replicate the pattern.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

hanamanth
Just Starting Out

How to repair burnt laminate benchtop?

Hi Team,

I have a laminated stone benchtop which is having burnt mark shown in attached photo.

I would like to know how to remove this burn mark.

Kindly someone guide me to the right contact person or advise how to fix this.

1000225811.jpg

1000225810.jpg

1000225809.jpg

Thanks,

Hana.

Re: benchtop laminate repair.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hanamanth. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a laminate benchtop.

Unfortunately, there's no real way to repair the damage as the laminate has been melted and scorched. You'll find many previous discussions on the subject that you might like to read through; there's plenty of advice and solutions from our members.

Since there is no way to restore the look of this area, you typically are limited to options like painting the benchtop. Fortunately, we have products such as the Dulux Renovation range that are perfect for this task. Many of our members have successfully transformed the look of their laminate benchtops. Here's a helpful guide: How to paint a kitchen benchtop with Dulux.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shivanir
Just Starting Out

Re: how to remove burn mark on counter top

Hi thanks for your response 

I was confused as to whether it’s a laminate or solid surface or corian counter top because it doesn’t have a particular shiny coating 

It thats  the case is there any material I can purchase from bunnings to try removing the burn mark ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove burn mark on counter top

If you take a look underneath it @Shivanir, if it has exposed timber particle board, then it's likely laminated.

If it's natural or reconstituted stone, you might like to try Hillmark 375ml Stone Kleen And Protect Marble Granite Cleaner to see if it can help lift the marks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects