Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish kitchen timber benchtop?

Samirkedis
Finding My Feet

How to finish kitchen timber benchtop?

Kitchen benchtop.pngKitchen Oil.png

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Beech Laminate Panel to use as my new Kitchen benchtop as in the first photo . It requires staining. which paint should I use to reach the shining level of the timber in the second photo

Thanks

Sam

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish kitchen timber benchtop?

Hello @Samirkedis 

Thanks for sharing your question about your benchtop. My best advice is to keep the benchtop sealed with plastic if you are not yet ready to paint the surface, humidity and moisture act quickly on bare timber. To get a really good idea of the finish, I propose visiting your local store and have a look at the stain and varnish sample board in the paint department.

The general steps are to sand the surface of the benchtop to prepare it for painting. Clean the surface thoroughly and make sure that there is no debris on top. Make sure you are in a location where the benchtop is not exposed to wind or rain. This will prevent your finish from having that dusty look.

It's best to test a small area first such as the bottom corner to give yourself an idea of what the finish will look like before you commit the entire table. If you are happy with the test, then you can paint the entire table. 

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: Upcycled buffets (some of the cabinet benchtops have superb finishes)

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

Here is a colour sample of the Cabot's Stain and varnish set.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects