Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut shelves without disassembling?

Kathy88
Growing in Experience

How to cut shelves without disassembling?

Yes, I know, my pantry is a mess. It's just too deep and everything gets lost and I need to rummage around. I don't have time to reorganise every time with a clingy 1 year old :D.

So I'd like to make it less deep. Kind of like c shaped and add shelves at the top and bottom.

1000012910.jpg

My question is, can I just cut the already assembled shelves without disassembling them and just use an iron on tape for the front bit that I sawed off. Is this possible? If yes, what tool do I use?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut shelves without disassembling?

Hi @Kathy88,

Thank you for following up with the dimensions that @EricL has requested.

He is the master when it comes to designing solutions for this kind of thing, so I'll have to defer to him on this one. 

He should be back online Monday afternoon to assist.

If you have any questions in the meantime, I'd be happy to help.

Jacob

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Kathy88 

I know what it's like to have clingy babies when you're renovating. Shelves are amazing to have and once there gone you may regret it. I saw @EricL had suggested baskets and they go a long way to helping you access more items from the back. I've added a link below for a Bunning options and I'm sure you can shop around. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rev-a-shelf-pull-out-basket-for-600mm-cabinet_p0077870?srsltid=AfmBOoows...

I appreciate you may not have the time or the inclination to add the pull out drawers; If you plan to cut the shelves you just need to make sure there's enough support left for the shelf otherwise they will collapse. 

Good luck

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kathy88 

Below are the images you can use to guide your carpenter on how to build the drawer for your pantry. Generally speaking, it is made of five panels, two drawer runners and a spacer on the left so that it avoids hitting the door on the left. The size of the spacer is dependent on the thickness of the door. The thicker the door the thicker the spacer will need to be. For the drawer on the right the spacer will need to be on the right-hand side.

I've used standard MDF at 16mm thickness for your drawer material. I strongly suggest reading this guide - How to add drawers to a kitchen cabinet. This will give your carpenter a good idea of how to put the drawer together and how to install it. 

The measurements I've placed are based on the measurements you've provided. Please double check them and adjust them to your needs before you start cutting the timber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Kathry88 drawer 1.jpgKathry88 drawer 2.jpgKathry88 drawer 3.jpgKathry88 drawer 4.jpgKathry88 drawer 5.jpgKathry88 drawer 6.jpgKathry88 drawer 7.jpg 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects