Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover rangehood ducting?

JamesT1
Finding My Feet

How to cover rangehood ducting?

IMG_1781.jpeg

Hi team :smile: 

we have recently had our kitchen cabinets installed and have noticed they have not boxed out or put a void to run the flex in, so it is currently just sitting connect up once you open the cabinet. 

what could someone suggest be the best method to box out the 150mm flex and still have room in the overhead cabinet. I will move the shelf down as far as possible. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover rangehood ducting?

Hi @JamesT1,

Once you've dropped that mid-shelf, it should just be a matter of using a CustomPine board to box out the ducting. You might need to add some additional holes on the sides of the cabinet to allow the shelf to be supported just above the range hood. Remember to follow any guides provided by the rangehood manufacturer for required setbacks and air gaps.

I've created a rendering below to help illustrate how to box the ducting in. The panels can be secured through the top of the cabinet with screws and at the base with small angle brackets.

Remember your PPE including safety glasses, a face mask and gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for that. I will be lowering the shelf and have to drill out some small holes so the shelf fits just above the range hood. 

So looking at this rendering, you would cut 3 pieces of MDF and screw them in from the top cabinet behind the kick board ? 

two for the sides and one for the front ? 

Kind Regards,

James Underwood

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JamesT1 

Yes, all you need are three sides to cover the foil ducting. However, I suggest following the recommendation of Mitchell in using Custom Pine board instead of MDF which is very susceptible to moisture and is not as structurally sound. Please remember to follow the manufacturers recommendation for spacing and air gaps.

Just to add to the excellent suggestions made, I propose thinking about adding an extra shelf to your cabinet. My best advice is to drill pilot holes for all the screws to prevent splitting the timber when securing them in place. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric, 

Awesome render drawing, I will get to work and box it out like this. 

how would you suggest I box up the actually range hood unit in the photo, the silver box. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JamesT1 

I don't recommend covering up the actual rangehood front just in case you need to service it. I suggest just covering up the ducting to protect it from getting damaged. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects