Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add heat deflectors to Kaboodle cabinetry for oven installation?

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

How to add heat deflectors to Kaboodle cabinetry for oven installation?

I am mid-kitchen renovation and I have hit a bit of a snag - such is the life of a DIY-er! I am installing 2 ovens side by side under the benchtop - please see the Kaboodle render I designed. During the design process, the software didn't highlight a warning or a need for end panels either side of the oven housing, so I have worked my measurements down to the last mm on this design. 

I built an oven cabinet yesterday and was slightly horrified to discover that the instructions referred to using end panels with a heat deflector strips sandwiched in-between the housing and the end panels, 23mm protruding, to prevent heat damage. I contacted Kaboodle, and they advised that the heat deflectors could be installed without end panels, but that the lip / bend of the strip would need to face the oven, with the flat side going against the opposite door / drawer panel. They sent an image of how it should be installed.

Heat Deflector without Panels.jpg

My immediate concern is that this strip will be visible and will ruin the entire aesthetic of the kitchen, with a metallic strip sticking out (with or without the use of an end panel. I have trawled through some many Kaboodle images with similar ovens installed in the kitchen, and the strip does not appear visible. I am desperate to know how others have done it, so that you get the heat protection but so that the heat deflector remains invisible. There must be a way, but in my blind panic, I cannot think of one! 😅

Screen Shot 2024-10-10 at 5.11.52 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help needed with Kaboodle oven installation please!

Hi @theDIYedit,

The strip will be 2mm proud of your cabinet doors. From the front, it shouldn't be that impactful as you only see its thickness, but as it needs to stick out at least as far as the cabinet door, there's no real way to make it invisible. If you take a look at the image below, you will see the deflectors installed. Even though you won't be using the end panels, the deflectors shouldn't be any more imposing than this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects