Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence paling planter box

KellieN
Growing in Experience

Fence paling planter box

My husband made this planter box out of old fence palings. I gave it some finishing touches with some paint, ink and a few fake plants before sitting it on top of our fridge. 

Materials

Fence palings

Wood glue

Nails

Sanding pads

Paint - blue

White acrylic paint 

Black permanent ink pad 

Foam letter stamps

Tools

Saw

Sander

Hammer

Steps

Step 1

1000030894.jpg

1000030892.jpg

Make a simple timber box from old fence palings. This one is the depth of two palings

Step 2

1000030895.jpg

Give the box a light sand to take some of the grey away. Load a small amount of blue paint onto a paint brush and apply sparingly. Once dry, paint some foam letter stamps with white acrylic paint and stamp the front of the box. Clean the stamps. Once paint is dry, ink up the foam letters with the black stamp pad and stamp just to the right of the white paint so you achieve a shadow effect.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence paling planter box

Hi @KellieN,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic, weathered planter box project with us.

There's nothing better than taking recycled materials and giving them a new lease on life and you and your husband have surely done that.

Using the weathered look to your advantage was a fantastic idea. The little pops of blue paint are a brilliant idea that really accentuate and enhance the weathered look.

This is definitely something I could see in the window of a cute little suburban cafe.

Congratulations to you and your husband on a wonderful project.

Jacob

KellieN
Growing in Experience

Re: Fence paling planter box

Thankyou so much Jacob. Hubby and I appreciate your lovely feedback.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects