Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you replace kitchen cabinets with sliding doors?

aabode
Just Starting Out

Can you replace kitchen cabinets with sliding doors?

Hello, 

We have cupboards in our kitchen that's really awkwardly positioned at the moment  as they sit perpendicular to the kitchen island. It's really difficult to get stuff from the cabinets at the moment. I'm thinking replacing them with sliding doors might be the long term solution. Are there doors like that available? in the interim, thinking that hinges that allow for a 180deg opening would work as well. Are there hinges like that available? 

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you replace kitchen cabinets with sliding doors?

Hi @aabode,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some photos of the cupboards? This would certainly help our members to offer their best advice based on your specific circumstances. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'd be more than happy to help if required.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any replacement sliding doors for cupboards as the cabinets would need to be designed specifically with sliding doors in mind. 

It may be possible to create custom sliding doors by routing grooves in the top and bottom of the cabinet carcass. This however would be very dependent on the circumstances of the cabinets.  

There are certainly options for hinges that will allow the doors to open close to 180 degrees such as these Hafele 165° Full Overlay Clip On Hinges, but we would need to confirm their compatibility with your cabinets.

You might like to have a look at my article How to replace kitchen cabinet door hinges where I've given details of the main types of cabinet hinges.

Once you've uploaded some images, I will be happy to offer further advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects