Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i tile directly onto laminate benchtop?

thumbs
Just Starting Out

Can i tile directly onto laminate benchtop?

image.jpg

Hey team, long time reader first time poster.

I have an old but solid laminate bench in the kitchen. I’d like to tile directly onto it.

Can I do this safely? Do I need to put cement sheeting down first (which I’m trying to avoid doing)? Thanks heaps :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i tile directly onto laminate benchtop?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thumbs. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling over laminate.

I'm not aware of any adhesive that would be suitable for tiling over laminate. One of the reasons for that is that laminate manufacturers wouldn't recommend tiling over their products, which prevents adhesive manufacturers from developing in that area.

I can understand why you'd like to investigate this option, as it doesn't look like you have enough height to install compressed sheeting and your tiles within the height of the stove lip.

Do you have your heart set on a tiled benchtop, or was it to provide a refresh? Overall, you might find it's less work to replace the benchtop, and we have a wide range to select from. You might even like to take advantage of out Custom-benchtop Installation Service.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Legend @MitchellMc. I’m trying to do tile because I’m on a tight budget and I have a few packs left over from the bathroom :smile:

How about lifting the laminate layer off the top and gluing to the chipboard underneath? It’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work, but I’d love to give it a red hot go…

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

This is because although the adhesive might bind better to the particle board, it will also remove the waterproof laminate layer @thumbs. Tile grout is porous, so moisture spills on the tiles will find their way into the timber.

I can't speak for laminate, but you might like to check out this discussion on how to tile over a glass splashback. That would be the closest example of a similar project. I've checked with Dunlop, and although their adhesive sticks to glass, they don't advise the use of their adhesive for your project due to concerns, as no testing has been done.

Have you considered painting the benchtop with the Dulux Renovation range? Many of our members have had great success using it. Do you recommend the Dulux Renovation range for painting a benchtop?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects