Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use White Knight Renew tile paint behind stove top?

Lizzy1234
Just Starting Out

Can I use White Knight Renew tile paint behind stove top?

I'm planning to use the WhiteKnight Renew range to update our 1970s tiled splashback.

I've read lots about the importance of good preparation and that the paint is self levelling.... but have 2 questions before I start.

1) I'd like to paint behind my gas stove top. Will this paint cope with heat?

Or is putting a wall panel in recommended?

2) my tiles are matt finish.

After preparing with a good clean, do I need to sand the tiles before I prime?

20230315_192147.jpg

20230315_192248.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can I use White Knight Renew tile paint behind stove top?

Hello @Lizzy1234,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It's a pleasure having you here and we sincerely hope you find this site a great resource for useful D.I.Y. and home improvement advice. 

Thank you for your question on painting your splashback. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back online later today.

In the meantime, I encourage you to check out the following guides for useful painting tips as you embark on your project, including how to prime and prepare a surface for painting:

For more tips and inspiration, you can also have a look at @raymond265's kitchen makeover, which included painting a dated tiled splashback. 

Please keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use White Knight Renew tile paint behind stove top?

Hello @Lizzy1234

It is possible to paint the tiled splashback behind your cooktop. However, please note that too much deflected heat from your cookware could damage the finish of the paint. Unfortunately, there is no positive way to test this due to the various types of cookware you'll be using. 

It is prudent to follow the preparation steps recommended by White Knight. Even if the tile has a mat finish, I still recommend sanding the surface so that the paint will be able to hold on to the surface of the tile.

In regards to the wall panel, if you are looking for an alternative, I suggest having a look at the Bellessi 650 x 597 x 1mm Vertical Grain Stainless Steel Splashback to cover the tiles.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects