Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brand new dishwasher not draining?

thisren
Finding My Feet

Brand new dishwasher not draining?

HELLO! please help. Last night I installed my brand new bench top dishwasher to the dishwasher space in our new rental. We ran the first cycle and it didn’t drain AT ALL it’s overflowing onto our floor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

All of the stuff online is about the drainage hose being blocked but this is brand new! There’s no leaks anywhere, the bottom of the dishwasher is clear and has no plugs or anything in. I followed everything in the manual. Is it because it’s a smaller dishwasher in the space? should i raise it up onto a shelf. we originally got small one to place a microwave on top save bench space ahaha i really hope it can stay lower. Have added pic of dishwasher placement and under sink. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brand new dishwasher not draining?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thisren. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about your dishwasher.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your new dishwasher.

When you purchased the dishwasher through Timeless Living, you would have received an email with a link to contact the supplier. You can use that link to request assistance with the product.

Taking a look at your setup, I would say that it's almost definitely that the dishwasher is too low. If you turn to the page in your manual that covers the installation of pipework, there should be a maximum allowable height the drain pipe can be above the bottom of the dishwasher. Typically, this is around 300mm for many of these benchtop dishwashers. It appears your pipe is travelling up at least 600mm to reach the hole.

My advice would be to raise the dishwasher directly under the bench. Even then, the hose is not designed to go up and through a hole before going back down into the waste connection. Given that, I'd recommend cutting out a hole in the cupboard division to allow the hose a more direct route sideways to the waste. You can use a hole saw to create this new hole.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell!! thank you for the fast reply. 

I assumed as much! so sad but i should’ve investigated a little more into it. I read in the manual it says the height must be less than 750mm is that for something different. 

I’ll

image.jpg

get something underneath and let you know 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So it's saying the max height your hose can rise above the floor (when your machine is on the floor) is 750mm @thisren. That's considerably higher than what I've seen on other models. In your case, the measurement between the floor and the hole in the cabinetry needs to be less than 750mm. What's that distance?

Mitchell

Hi so sorry I’m not sure what’s happened now i’m very confused. I have just loosened the hose clamp and the water has now drained very easily! is this now a bigger problem with the actual layout of the pipes? we are in a rental and this is what it looked like when we got here. 

it was about 60mm off ground great estimation!! 

is this random stick making it difficult lol. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Can you please stick a screwdriver or pen in that white barb you had the hose connected to and let me know if it hits a hard object a couple of cm in @thisren? Those barbs need to be drilled out to be used. Secondarily, what's going on with the stick of timber? I'm guessing that's another barb that had already been drilled out, and they've blocked it with the timber. I'd say the top barb hasn't been drilled out, and you should connect to the bottom barb if one is there.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell!! 

i feel so silly. The top one did not have a hole in it. I’ve now placed it on bottom one. I will let you know if there’s anything else. truly thank you so much. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a WIN @thisren! Don't feel silly at all! You had me with the distance the pipe was rising, as I thought that was the cause. 

You've made my day, and I'm so pleased to have been able to assist. Shout out if you run into any more issues.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects