Workshop
Ask a question

Best paint for Kaboodle raw cabinet doors?

Garfield28
Cultivating a Following

Best paint for Kaboodle raw cabinet doors?

Evening All,

The wife and I are looking at possibly redoing our kitchen with Kaboodle, but we are thinking we'd like to paint our doors and end panels rather than buying off the shelf laminate type etc. 

My question is which is the best paint to use for the best finish. Have a watched a lot of videos on people that have painted there's using what I gather is water based enamel paint and applying with a brush and roller, and from what I can tell they look good from a distance but close up there's that texture from the roller, and the gloss on the water based gloss and semi gloss to me doesn't look that good. I know I could probably buy and use automotive paint but obviously I'd need a booth and more expensive equipment, which I'd rather try and avoid. It seems to me that American YouTubers painting cabinets have a better selection of paints for painting kitchen cabinet doors, it looks flat and very even with a very nice sheen on their satin paints, and I'd love to get something similar in Australia if possible, or see some within this workshop with pictures if someone else was able to achieve a really nice finish on their project painted at home. 

Thank you 

kayoparata
Getting Established

Re: Best paint for Kaboodle raw doors

you’re better off going to a paint supplier and getting what they call 2pac paint . It is hard wearing and is the best paint for cabinets. Especially if you’re getting something brand new . Dulux renovation range isn’t the best , i have used it before and it doesn’t work the best . You’re better off getting 2pac paint as it will last you longer in the long run, and looks so much better . 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best paint for Kaboodle raw doors

Hi @Garfield28,

It's important to recognise that a factory finish, such as thermoformed vinyl, will always appear smoother and shinier than a painted finish. 

2-pack paints are more readily available off the shelf in America. When applied using a semi-professional spray gun with a compressor, they achieve a high level of sheen and a smooth surface. However, there is a learning curve with spraying, so don't expect perfect results on your first attempt.

Products like the Dulux Renovation range offer an excellent option for refreshing tired old cabinetry and giving it a new lease of life, especially if you plan to renovate and replace the cabinetry in the future. Many of our members have achieved outstanding results with it.

I recently had a similar discussion with a colleague who wanted to achieve the same level of finish as you do. My advice to them, and you, is that unless you're after a custom colour that Kaboodle doesn't supply, the vacuum-formed vinyl doors they offer can only be matched with a professionally applied finish using trade-grade products. The Kaboodle 450mm Raw Board Modern Cabinet Door is about half of the price of the coated Kaboodle 450mm Gloss White Modern Cabinet Door. If you have ten doors to do, that's approximately $360 extra to go with the finished door. For that price, it would be well worth choosing the coated and finished option.

I'm quite familiar with spraying and applying coatings and know the work involved in getting the gun to spray correctly, sanding between coats, dealing with debris in the coats, and the frustration of almost finishing only to have something go wrong, requiring you to sand back a door and start again. When you factor in the cost of trade paint, the sprayer, your labour, and the risk of issues with the coatings, I would strongly recommend going with the factory-finished door provided by Kaboodle.

As mentioned, the only time I would recommend painting the doors yourself is if you are aiming for a custom colour that is otherwise unavailable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects