Workshop
Ask a question

How to revive Pomelo tree with citrus leaf curl?

Ellie2
Just Starting Out

How to revive Pomelo tree with citrus leaf curl?

Hi all,

We have a beautiful Pomelo tree which has curled leaves and looks very unwell.

We used products for curly citrus but it does not work.

I attached some pictures hopefully some one can help me.

IMG_9727.jpeg

IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9728.jpeg

IMG_9729.jpeg

thanks

Ellie

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sick Pamela tree

Hi @Ellie2,

Thank you for your question about a pomelo tree.

It certainly doesn't look very healthy at the moment, which is quite concerning.

Citrus leaf curl can happen for a few different reasons including, over or under-watering, attack from pests such as aphids or mites, nutrient deficiencies and extreme temperatures.

It is hard to say for certain what the cause of this leaf curling is, but there are a few steps you can take to better understand the issue and address it moving forwards.

I would start by inspecting the leaves thoroughly to see if you can find any small insects. If you find any you can use a natural insecticide such as Pyrethrum to protect the tree against any pests.

Another potential issue is over or under-watering. Check the base of the tree to see if the soil is sodden. If it is, you could add gypsum to the base of the tree to help break up any clay that may be causing drainage issues and add organic matter such as Scotts Compost Premium Soil Improver around the base of the tree to promote microbial growth and earthworms which will help to break up the soil.

If the soil at the base of the tree is bone dry, which looking at the colour of the grass makes me think is unlikely, I'd suggest giving the tree a good soaking once every 7-10 days being sure to check the soil for dampness before watering. If it is dry, water, if it is sodden, wait a few days.

Another potential issue is nutrient deficiency. This could be addressed with the use of a liquid fertiliser watered into the base of the tree.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, one of our knowledgeable horticulturalists to see if they have any other suggestions.

You might also like to have a read of How to diagnose a sick plant and Growing Citrus Plants for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: sick Pamela tree

Hi @Ellie2 

In addition to Jacobz good advice, I would also remove the grass growing right up to the trunk of the tree - it is competing for nutrients and moisture and may also induce stem rots.  Clear a circle at least 900mm in diameter around the trunk - don't disturb the tree roots by digging it out, rather scrape it off and keep the soil exposed.  Add your fertiliser and water )if required) to this circle.

The tree may also benefit by having some of the damaged foliage pruned off - citrus can tolerate quite heavy pruning to encourage strong new growth. However, don't do this in the middle of winter unless you live in a completely frost-free area. New shoots now could be susceptible to damage from frosts and severe cold weather.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects