Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When to prune Pittosporum hedge?

danielleraffoul
Finding My Feet

When to prune Pittosporum hedge?

My hedge is starting to really grow which I am very happy about but also nervous to prune! When is the best time to trim? And how much do I trim? Also how often do I trim? I started growing these plants in Feb 24 and they have just started to get all new leaves and bush out beginning of spring.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: When to prune Pittosporum hedge?

Hi @danielleraffoul,

The best time to prune is in the warmer months, mainly spring and early summer, which is perfect now that you're seeing new growth. This is when the plant is actively growing, so it will bounce back quickly after trimming.

Since your hedge is just starting to bush out, you can give it a light prune to encourage thicker growth. I’d recommend cutting back no more than a third of the new growth. This will help shape the hedge and promote a denser look without stressing the plants too much.

As for how often to prune, it depends on the look you’re after. If you want a neat, manicured hedge, you can lightly trim it every 6-8 weeks during the growing season. If you're okay with a more natural look, a couple of trims a year should be enough—once in early spring and again around mid-summer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: When to prune Pittosporum hedge?

Hi @danielleraffoul,

Just thought I'd add to Mitch's reply that the Bunnings guide Planting, growing and pruning pittosporums should also be helpful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects