Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When to harvest potatoes?

balaji27
Having an Impact

When to harvest potatoes?

Hello Team,

Please refer to the pics of my potato plant and please advice when to harvest and what is the indication I should look for to understand it is ready for harvest. Since the potatoes are grown under the soil and this is my 1st plant, don't know about the harvest period. Please advise.

Thanks - Balaji.

IMG-20240104-WA0002.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0003.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Potato Plant - Harvest

Hi Balaji,

To know when it's time to harvest, watch for flowering – it's a good sign that tuber formation has begun. As the potatoes mature, the plant's above-ground foliage will start turning yellow and eventually die back. This is a natural process as the plant directs energy to the potatoes underground.

If you're curious, do a sample harvest by gently digging around the base of the plant. Check the size and smoothness of a few potatoes. If they look good, they're likely ready for harvest. Also, consider the time since planting; most potatoes are ready in about 10-12 weeks.

Remember to handle the potatoes carefully during harvest to avoid any damage. After harvesting, let them cure in a cool, dark place for a couple of weeks to toughen up their skins.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Potato Plant - Harvest

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc , I will wait for the flowers and turning yellow, this is a new learning for me.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Balaji.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects