Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When is too late to prune roses?

erikc
Growing in Experience

When is too late to prune roses?

I've been spraying roses to stop black spot etc but with this early spring I think it is too late to do major pruning on these iceberg roses - some are already flowering - but her indoors disagrees and argues I should give them all major pruning like I did last year. Any opinions out there? The soil isn't great, dry clay ..and a weed problem so I need to find a good mulch or groundcover...

1000017925.jpg

1000017924.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: when is too late to prune roses?

Hi @erikc,

Pruning roses is typically done in late winter or early spring before the plants start their new growth. Since your roses are already blooming, it might be too late for a significant prune this year. Pruning them heavily now could stress the plants and reduce their flowering.

You can still do a light prune to remove any dead or damaged branches and to tidy up their shape. Save the major pruning for when the roses are dormant to promote healthy growth and more blooms in the next season.

Given your dry clay soil and weed issues, adding a thick layer of organic mulch, such as sugarcane, will help conserve moisture, improve the soil's structure, and prevent weeds from growing. Additionally, consider planting a groundcover like creeping thyme, vinca, or sedum, which can thrive in clay soil and help suppress weeds. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects