Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do after detaching lawn?

rahatsaini22
Just Starting Out

What to do after detaching lawn?

I have palmetto buffalo grass in my backyard. I am planning to dethatch and aerate the lawn. I am not sure what to do after them.
Please suggest.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do after dethaching lawn

Hi @rahatsaini22,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

After dethatching and aerating your soil, you should top-dress, fertilize, water and mow to thicken the lawn to fill in the space that dethatching has created.

I'd suggest having a look through How To Aerate And Top Dress Your Lawn for some guidance on top dressing the lawn.

A bag of topsoil, such as this Scotts Lawn Builder Organic Topdress & Underlay will cover approximately 1-2 square metres, so grab enough for your lawn and spread the soil evenly with a rake or topsoil spreader.

Once you've top dressed your lawn, you can apply a lawn fertilizer such as this Lawn Solutions Australia 2.5L Exceed Liquid Fertiliser to give it the nutrients it needs to thrive. Ensure you follow the instructions on the label in regard to coverage and mixing ratios.

After the fertilizer has been applied, watering consistently and mowing every 1-2 weeks will help promote healthy growth and thickness of your lawn.

You might like to check out How To Care For Your Lawn In Spring for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do after detaching lawn?

Hi @rahatsaini22,

Just wanted to also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

In addition to Jacob's helpful advice, I wanted to point you to the guide How to dethatch your lawn by experienced member @Adam_W.

We look forward to seeing how you can transform your lawn.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects