Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to plant along narrow strip next to deck?

Chris_T
Having an Impact

What to plant along narrow strip next to deck?

Hi all!

Last year I had a new deck built in my garden which is a bit bigger than the previous deck. This has left a very narrow garden space that gets mostly weeds and grass growing in it. 

My "Spring Project" is to try and make it look nice, but it's such a narrow space not really sure what to plant here. I don't want anything that grows too much above the deck height so people can still step over it, and needs to be reasonably hardy. If it flowered even better. If it was a native, also great. Ground cover maybe, but don't want anything that's going to try to grow too far over the concrete or up through the deck. Area gets limited sun (5-6 hours maybe) due to surrounding trees. 

I don't want to put wood chips in there because I've had termite issues previously, but I'd also consider adding stones to hold back the weeds a bit. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Dog and ball provided for size reference and because she wouldn't move. Ball is the size of a basketball, despite looking like a tennis ball :smile:

IMG_0658.jpeg
Thanks!
Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden suggestions for narrow gap near deck.

Hi @Chris_T 

Thanks for sharing your question about the narrow gap near your deck. The one that offers the lowest maintenance would be the use of pebbles. As long as the garden edging is high enough, it will keep the pebbles tidy. One other option that comes to mind is to create a long wide timber step that will cover that gap. As long as the step is wide enough it should not become a tripping hazard.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: What to plant along narrow strip next to deck?

Hi @Chris_T @I think @EricL has the perfect solution. There is a huge range of pebble varieties available to choose from. My favourite are river ones which are smooth with earthy colours. They are available in various sizes measured in mm. 

nailbag. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects