Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tall shrub for limited sun spot near Townsville?

maync
Finding My Feet

What tall shrub for limited sun spot near Townsville?

Looking for a clue on this: I need a tall (2-5m, overhang over driveway would be quite ok) shrub on the southern full shade side of a row of tight conifers. Hot bright afternoon sun currently arrives at that spot around 1:30pm, but 4 hours later the shade from the garage will be encroaching bottom up. See pictures. Now it's 3:50pm. Garage shade coming closer. Little red flag shows where shrub is planned on the side of the yellow bin, to hide it. What might be suitable there? Sandy loam there as everywhere in Burdekin area near Ayr/Home Hill, 100km south of Townsville. Dry usually, but can be waterlogged for 2 or three days during cyclone season. Many thanks for your advice, I've been looking all day but don't seem to be able to find the right shrub. It takes someone with really local gardening knowledge. I come from Canberra.  Best regards, Nick Maync

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What tall shrub for limited sun spot near Townsville?

Hi @maync,

Given Townsville’s climate and the mix of partial sun and afternoon shade, there are a few hardy options that might thrive in your garden.

Elaeocarpus could be a good choice. This native tree adapts well to partial sun and a range of soil types, including sandy loam, and it tolerates temporary waterlogging. It typically reaches 5-8 metres but can be pruned to stay within your height range, providing dense foliage that should effectively hide the bin and complement the space. 

Another option is the Syzygium australe, or Lilly Pilly 'Resilience,' which tolerates partial to full shade and occasional flooding. This resilient shrub grows densely to about 3-5 metres and features striking red new growth and small white flowers, adding visual interest while handling Townsville’s heat well.

Lastly, if you’re looking for something larger, Ficus benjamina (Weeping Fig) can be trained as a tall shrub. Although it’s often grown as a tree, it adapts well to partial shade and could provide excellent screening, though it may require a root barrier to keep it from spreading too close to your driveway. 

Each of these options should adapt well to your garden’s sandy loam and cope with the occasional inundation during cyclone season. It might also be worth checking with your local Bunnings nursery, as they’ll have insights into which plants perform best in your exact conditions. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects