Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's wrong with my newish buffalo grass?

JoelDeacon
Finding My Feet

What's wrong with my newish buffalo grass?

Hi there!

I laid, topsoil, fertiliser and then new buffalo grass in late September.

I watered the grass frequently, and recently put down some more fertiliser. 

As you can see the backyard doesn't get great sunlight.

How do can I tell though if the issue is lack of sunlight? Too much leaf cover? Lack of topsoil? or something else?

Any tips on how to make the grass more healthy?

Thanks!

IMG_6749.jpegIMG_6750.jpegIMG_6751.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What's wrong with my newish buffalo grass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoelDeacon. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Buffalo care.

Your first image looks more like wear marks. Is this a run that receives excessive foot traffic? Perhaps the kids are accessing the trampoline? The reason for presuming this, is the grass looks worn down and the soil compacted.

The second image looks like a relatively healthy lawn. How recently was it laid? If this is the first year, it might still be in the process of taking a foothold, and next year it could fill out more.

The third image is almost definitely a lack of sunlight. Although Buffalo does well in semi-shaded areas and is shade-tolerant, it will struggle if it receives only dappled light throughout the day and less than four hours of direct sunlight. I suspect your yard receives a great deal of shade throughout the day, which is why these areas struggle.

Although it's different in appearance from Buffalo, you might like to consider over-sowing a seed mix designed for shaded areas. This would at least infill with a thinner bladed grass and make the areas appear less sparse.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What's wrong with my newish buffalo grass?

Thanks Mitchell

Really appreciate the help and advice!

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects