Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is on my lime tree?

GH17
Just Starting Out

What is on my lime tree?

IMG_9407.jpeg

IMG_9408.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

Hi Community,

My lime tree has been looking sad for a while with curling leaves but unable to see any cause. 
I’ve now noticed it is looking significantly worse and on inspection have noticed what looks like tiny eggs all over the tree. 
Can anyone help me with what this may be and how to treat it? 
There are way too many to be able to ensure I get them all with just a spray bottle, as they are on all the branches and amongst the leaves too. Will I kill the tree if I cut it right back to treat it? 
Thanks in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is on my lime tree?

Hello @GH17 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your lime tree.

It appears to be an insect infestation, but it's difficult to see exactly what it is, would it be possible for you to post a photo of some of the damaged leaves? Specifically, the leaves that have been eaten, deformed or have track marks on them. This will help us narrow down the possible insect that is invading your lime tree.

It could be citrus leaf miners or scale, but we'll have a better idea once we see the damaged leaves.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Grub80 and @Noelle for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @GH17 @EricL  you’ve got bugs! Mealy bugs. If you look carefully the little white balls will be actually moving.

best way to get rid of them is to use the appropriate spray, usually a horticultural oil, or even cut out the heavy infestation, and throw in the garbage, not your green bin or compost. I would also remove the mulch and replace and spray the surrounding soils. The white lines on the trunk are the “walking tracks”.

it may take more than one application of whatever oil you will use to get rid of the bugs but keep an eye on them and just persevere.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GH17 

Thanks to @Grub80's quick identification of the insect infestation, I propose looking at Eco-Organic Garden 500ml Eco-Oil Concentrate to manage the infestation. My best advice is to spray thoroughly including the bottom of the leaves and all the small crevices where the insects congregate. Please note that the Eco-Oil is a concentrate and must be diluted before use. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a mask when using the Eco-Oil. Please make sure to follow the safety guidelines printed at the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

GH17
Just Starting Out

Hi @EricL and @Grub80 

Thanks for your advice. 
Attached are a few photos of the leaves. Only because @Grub80 @was saying I’d be able to see them moving but I’ve spent a lot of time having a very close look and the little white things definitely aren’t moving? Unless there is something else moving that I can’t see!

Thanks for your help 

IMG_9420.jpeg

IMG_9422.jpeg

  

IMG_9418.jpeg

IMG_9421.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GH17 

Thank you for posting those extra pictures of your damaged leaves. I also see leaf miner tracks on your leaves and possible white fly infestation. Using Eco-Oil on your citrus tree should be just fine. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects