Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sooty mould on lemon tree

CathD
Making a Splash

Sooty mould on lemon tree

I got an email from the Yates Gardening Club today that reminded me about the sooty mould I used to have on my lemon tree.

It looked like this:

Lemon 2.JPG

If you ever see this kind of black ash on your citrus leaves or lots of ants, make sure you tackle the problem. It's caused by scale insects which are sap suckers and will likely kill your tree. You need to use a pyrethrim-based spray to smother and suffocate the insects.

Cath

Community manager's note: Check out How to diagnose a sick plant for expert advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sooty mould on lemon tree

Hello @John57 

I suggest waiting for the tree to dry off as spraying the tree while its wet will will not be as effective. Evaporation will carry off the spray instead of staying on the leaves. To accelerate drying, I suggest using a blower on the leaves of the tree. The badly infected branches can be removed, but excessive trimming can be detrimental to the health of the tree as well. My only other suggestion is to wait for a sunny day to spray the trees. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John57
Having an Impact

Re: Sooty mould on lemon tree

Thanks Eric, standing by for some dry weather. Meanwhile tried the Valencia or ange that fell off the tree. Sour sweet and fresh!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects