Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should we re-drill bore or connect to mains water?

MsMojoz
Just Starting Out

Should we re-drill bore or connect to mains water?

Hi,

We have an old bore, that will need re-drilling/fixing.

Are we better to get the bore done or just get new reticulation laid from the mains?

Not sure what is better to do.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bore verses Mains

Hi @MsMojoz 

The good thing about bore water is that as long as the pump is properly taken care of, it can be depended on to produce water. This source of water is a great way to keep a 5,000 or 10,000-litre water tank topped up. Now try imagining doing that with city water and you'll immediately see the difference. The only drawback of course is that you need to pay for a permit to drill for bore water. You'll also need to invest in pumps and large water tanks to store and use that water.

I would probably put my vote with using the bore water. It might require a little bit more effort to keep it going, but if done right will provide a good supply of water.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @MsMojoz 

Would love to have your quandry :smile: There is a house down my road that has bore water and I really should stop in and have a chat with them.

I agree with @EricL 's line of think with a couple of added bits.

Do you live in an area where the water table is known to have shrunk? If so then it would be a no. Otherwise YES! 

It would be handy having an alternate supply of water, drought is always around the corner and it would be nice to have access to water.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

100% go with the bore water @MsMojoz As @EricL mentioned once you have your permit the supply of water is free. I have a mate in the burbs of Townsville who installed a bore about 3 years ago. Once the initial cost for the permit and to have it drilled and the pump set up, he has enjoyed free water for his garden since.

Regards, Naibag

R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @MsMojoz 

People have been discussing the need for a permit but I suspect that redrilling an existing bore would not require a permit as you are just maintaining a permitted bore, check with the authorities first though.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects