Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking your advice on my murraya, ferns and hebes

Matt23
Just Starting Out

Seeking your advice on my murraya, ferns and hebes

I have three issues which I would love some experienced advice on.

I live in Melbourne.

Part of the murraya down the east side of the house is spindly and shedding leaves. I have been told this could because of over-watering, but I don't water them, so if it's that, it's only due to rain. Them seem to thrive just the way they are (as you can see from the others planted further down). Should I remove the mulch for these plants?  

On the west side of my property, my silver lady ferns have brown leaves. Is this due to under-watering, or something else? There is a lot of sunlight on them at the time of the photo, but most of the time they are in shade. 

IMG_6315.JPGIMG_6314.JPGIMG_6313.JPGIMG_6312.JPG

Third, the hebes at the front of the north-facing property took a beating last summer. Can they be revived, or do I need to replace them? 

I am planning to install an irrigation system before this summer, so I really want to get it right for my plants. 

I really look forward to your advice.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking your advice on my murraya, ferns and hebes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Matt23. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plant care.

Could it be that the spindly growth and leaf shedding are due to a lack of light? Murraya thrives best in full sun to partial shade, so if these particular plants are in a more shaded spot compared to the healthier ones further down, they may not be getting the light they need. Insufficient light can cause plants to grow leggy as they stretch towards the available light, leading to sparse growth and leaf drop. 

To solve potential moisture issues, you could remove the mulch to help the soil dry out faster and check for drainage problems in the area. Aerating the soil around the spindly plants may also improve water absorption and root health if the soil is retaining too much moisture.

Browning leaves on your silver lady ferns could be due to under-watering, but other factors like inconsistent moisture, exposure to too much direct sunlight, or even low humidity could also be at play. While they prefer shade, brief periods of strong sunlight, especially on a hot day, can scorch the leaves. If you think under-watering might be the cause, check the soil moisture, ensuring it stays consistently damp but not soggy. You might also try moving them to a spot with more consistent shade if possible.

Your hebes have a lot of deadwood, cutting it out is the first step. Hebes are generally hardy and can recover from tough conditions, especially if there’s still some healthy growth. After pruning, they may gradually fill in the gaps. However, if the plants don’t show signs of new growth after some time, replacement might be necessary. Giving them a feed with a slow-release fertiliser and keeping an eye on watering, especially during hot periods, can also help with their recovery.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Seeking your advice on my murraya, ferns and hebes

Thank you so much, Mitchell. Plenty there to consider. Much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects