Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking simple inexpensive ideas to revamp the front yard of my rental property

tay1810
Just Starting Out

Seeking simple inexpensive ideas to revamp the front yard of my rental property

I'm looking for some inspiration!

We're tidying up my property before its put up for lease and the front garden is looking very bland, and honestly been a nightmare with weeds, creeping grass, and terrible dry sandy "soil".

We've already ripped out a large dead tree/shrub which would've once provided privacy to the front bedroom (seen in one of the pictures), cut back a massively overgrown lavender bush along our boundary fence to provide better access to the power box, and discovered a buried path from the front door to the power box which we've reinstalled.

There are also 3 very established but less than thriving rose plants we'll be relocating to our current house to give them a better life; so the front yard will be almost completely bare. 

Without going overboard, I'm curious to know if anyone has ideas that could improve the garden's street appeal - E.g. plant types & placement, mulching or stones, edging to create zones, use of planters or pots to add height, something to create privacy to the bedroom window?

OR would you just leave it empty for future renters to have fun with?

Let me know your thoughts :smile:

1000029494.jpg

PXL_20240727_085050908~2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking simple inexpensive ideas to revamp the front yard of my rental property

Hello @tay1810 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about revamping your front yard.

One of the best ways to reduce the maintenance in your garden is to reduce the number of plants. In order to achieve a quick turnaround, I suggest removing those plants you want to save and bring them to your place. Next, I propose removing all the lawn and levelling the soil, once its level put a layer of crusher dust and compact the surface.

After compaction place weed matt above and put in some large paving steps leading to the back. Fill the rest of the area with white pebbles and level the surface. In regards to the window, I suggest putting in a Windoware 1.8 x 2.1m Paper Bark Oasis Outdoor HDPE Retractable. This gives you total control over the shade of the window and you won't have to install a permanent structure in front of it.

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @Peggers and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Seeking simple inexpensive ideas to revamp the front yard of my rental property

Hi @tay1810,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

I would recommend you check out a couple of resources here on the site for ideas and advice:

There's certainly many relatively simple and inexpensive ways to improve your home's street appeal. 

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects