Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Now, what is this weed?

Pala
Getting Established

Now, what is this weed?

1000008992.jpg

Hi Experts, 

Can someone help me to identify this weed and a possible solution for this?

This is in my buffalo lawn and can be seen in between pavings as well

1000008938.jpg

1000008936.jpg

1000008938.jpg

1000008937.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Now, what is this weed?

Hi @Pala,

I can't say I'm 100% certain but it certainly looks like crabgrass.

Is it possible to pull one of them out and put it on a separate backdrop?

I often use Pl@ntNet identify to identify plants, but it is having trouble working it out because of the surrounding grass.

Allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she can identify it.

If it is crabgrass as I suspect, you can use David Grays 500ml Crab Grass and Clover Killer Selective Herbicide to spot spray, but you should be aware that some damage to surrounding grass is likely. Ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions and wear gloves, a mask and protective clothing when applying this herbicide.

The only way that would be very effective to remove them with no damage to surrounding plants is to remove them by hand. I've had some great success using a Cyclone Extract Weeder in my backyard.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Pala
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ 

Thanks for the reply.

I have uploaded a new pic with a separate back ground. Im starting to think whether these are 2 types. Ops.

Its impossible to manually remove as its every where and liked infested.

So I am looking for something like a spray or a granular. 

Thanks heaps

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pala,

It looks like a combination of crabgrass and winter grass.

I'd suggest you start by spot spraying with Amgrow Winter Grass Killer, as it is less likely to cause damage to the surrounding lawn. Use an Aqua Systems 15L Backpack Garden Sprayer or Garden Basics 5L Garden Pressure Sprayer Kit to spray the individual plants, be cautious not to overspray.

Wait a week to see what dies off and spot spray the rest with the David Grays 500ml Crab Grass and Clover Killer Selective Herbicide as I mentioned, this will affect the surrounding grass. If the winter grass killer works well and eradicates everything, then you can skip this step.

Ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions for mixing ratios closely and wear long protective clothing, enclosed shoes, a mask and gloves while spraying.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Pala
Getting Established

Thanks so much Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects