Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New shield on staghorn turning brown

Marg1962
Finding My Feet

New shield on staghorn turning brown

My staghorn was just developing a new shield when the recent winds blew it down. Ever since the new shield has started to turn brown.  Will it recover or be replaced with a new one?

20240911_094423.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New shield on staghorn turning brown

Hi @Marg1962,

When a staghorn fern gets stressed, like from being blown over by the wind, it’s pretty common for the new shield to turn brown. This is usually just a sign that the shield is drying out or struggling, but it’s not something to worry about too much. Staghorns are tough and will often grow new shields in time.

To help your staghorn recover, leave the brown shield where it is. It can still protect the plant and will provide nutrients as it breaks down. Keep an eye on the plant to see if new shields start to appear, but be patient—it might take a while as the plant adjusts. Make sure the staghorn is securely mounted, well-watered, and getting filtered light. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can add extra stress. With a bit of care, your staghorn should bounce back and start growing new shields soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great advice @MitchellMc 

Can I add a note for @Marg1962  - Stags and Elkhorn ferns are like all other plants and need to be fed occasionally. A good balanced fertiliser in Spring in Summer is recommended. Some people feed monthly with a liquid seaweed product and then there is the 'banana' technique. All will work. Never overfeed but this will help your plants cope with tough conditions and thrive. 

Thankyou for the advice. Is seasol OK?  If so how much should be moved mixed in the water?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marg1962,

Powerfeed would be a suitable fertiliser, whereas Seasol is only a health tonic. A dilution of 10mL into 9L water would be sufficient for your staghorn. You could apply the Seasol now to help it recover and then move over to the Powerfeed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects