Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need suggestions for plants to cover ugly fence

Msjoeyanna
Just Starting Out

Need suggestions for plants to cover ugly fence

back yard ugly fence.jpgHi everyone - thanks for your suggestions in advance

Port Augusta, South Australia - which i am told is Heat Zone 7, Cold Zone 10.

New to plants and gardens - don't feel overly excited about starting this journey.

Thoughts are to paint the fence and brick work (open to colour suggestions) - then add pots and plants that will grow up quickly to hide this.

What type of pots? what type of plants?

Area is approx 5m across and 2m in height.

Open to all suggestions and idea

Thanks

Jo

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions for plant cover ugly fence

Hello @Msjoeyanna 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about covering your fence.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - What hedge to plant for a shady area? by @plantsANDpets. If you are planning on painting the corrugated iron, I suggest painting it in concrete grey so that it blends in with the concrete floor. It's current galvanized colour just makes it stand out and noticeable. Instead of pots and plants I recommend building a free-standing raised garden bed that will allow you to put in even more plants.  

The next option is to cover the galvanized fence with merbau panel screening. Have a look at this discussion - Merbau panel screening by @WendyL, it's an excellent example of covering up an unwanted fence. 

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular screening projects.

Since you'll be putting the plants in the shade, I suggest the Box hedging and  Murraya plants. My best advice is to make sure that the plants you choose are shade and draught tolerant.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need suggestions for plants to cover ugly fence

Hi @Msjoeyanna,

I love @EricL's advice on starting with Merbau screening—it’ll provide a beautiful backdrop for your garden. For the fence and brickwork, consider light, neutral colors to create a fresh and bright feel.

For pots, choose ones that are durable and weather-resistant, like terracotta or fibreglass. As for plants, consider fast-growing options like climbing vines or flowering plants that thrive in your heat zone, such as Jasmine or Pandorea.

Also, you might like to check out this guide: Shade-loving plants for your garden.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects