Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need recommendations for garden care equipment

Peachyspeechie
Just Starting Out

Need recommendations for garden care equipment

  Hi everyone. I recently moved into a rental that has an overgrown garden. I could pay for someone to fix it up (then I could maintain it) but I’m a single mum only able to work part time so am wary of paying someone to do something I could potentially do myself; I’m also aware of the risk of someone butchering it. (My mum is a green thumb.) 
I’ve got an Ozito corded mower (pictured) but I don’t think it cuts terribly well - it did the job for my small unit’s grassy patio area but I’m in a house now and honestly can’t tell which grass has been cut by the mower unless it started out really long (which means I could be wasting time going over areas of lawn I’ve already mowed). I’ve also got an Ozito cordless grass trimmer but I’m sick of the battery running out and the plastic blades flying off, lol.
I’m seeking advice for which equipment would suit my needs. I need something easy to start and use that will do the job but not cost too much. I’m after recommendations for:

- a lawn mower

- grass/edge trimmer

- electric shears (for trimming trees, bushes, and large roots and vines).

I’ve attached photos of the main garden issues I need to tackle.  You’ll also see that the backyard grass is uneven so I need a mower that can cope with garden debris other than grass, such as small sticks and roots. 

Also let me know if you think I need a professional! TIA 🙏

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need recommendations for garden care equipment

Hello @Peachyspeechie 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what garden tools to invest in.

Since you already have the Ozito line trimmer, I suggest investing in the same brand product so that you can use the battery you already have. For example, it appears that you have an 18volt battery in the XPXC series. This battery will work with the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Pruner Shears - Skin Only. This will help you cut those medium to thick branches that a pruning saw would be awkward to use.  

I also recommend looking the Ozito PXC 18V Pole Hedge Trimmer - Skin Only, this will help you with the trimming of the trees and hedges outside your home. To cut larger branches, I suggest getting the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Pole Pruner - Skin Only. This will help with cutting off thick tree branches and thick vines that have dried off and are difficult to cut.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Afternoon @Peachyspeechie 

:laugh: Wooohooo Cheering! You getto make the yard your own!

Welcometo the Bunnings community :smile: its a good place to ask exactly the type of question you have.

Im also in the market for another lawnmower... But I wont be buying a new one, If you look around your local suburb/suburbs there is a fair chance yoy can find someone who reconditions lawnmowers. Thats the plan I have. My last lawnmover was a hand me down from mum when she stopped using it and it was flooded. Its still going but ruyst wise the handles are almost seperating from the chasis :smile: 

The Pruning sheers Id buy, Trojan Compound Bypass Lopper I have one and it reallly keeps on going, the length gives me extra reach and also the force of the two arms to cut through is magnified.

For larger branches and thicker wood then this littke guy  is brilliant Ozito PXC 18V Brushless Pruning Chainsaw PXBPCS-1815 - Skin Only It fits with the batteries I use for my drills. It has chopped up larger bramches, say mid arm thickness. 

The last one you asked about is a whipper snipper. I am a little hesitant on recomending one (I have a decent one that has a bump and release mechanisim) and it works well. Id prefer a center clamp to drop in a precut length of cord. I havnt found one yet that Id remember and because i have one that works I havnt gone looking for a replacement.

On my wish list (an maybe yours) is a garden shredder. With the amount of greenery you have (and yes it will grow back after pruning :smile: ) A shredder may be a good idea. So far I havnt justified the costs of a decent one and havnt seen a cheap one in action to recomend. That pruning chansaw tho makes light work of cutting branches down to 30cm long lengths to maximise space your green bin :smile:

And Nope you dont need a professional :smile: I get tendinitis in one arm  (hence the mini pruners) and I still manage to do the yards upkeep. 

I prune and lop (chop my trees to a certain height) every 2nd year. I have 3 large Crepe myrtles, a Jacerander (tho it had to go) and 2 Liquid ambers so it generates a resonable green waste amount. 

Dave

Thanks, Dave! Would the chainsaw do the job of the lopper, or would I need both?

Thanks, Eric! So are you suggesting I’d need all 3, or did you just list these as options? Is there one that will manage everything (needing shears)?

Hi @Peachyspeechie 

I suggested all three, but there is no need to get all of them as the same time. I suggest getting the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Pruner Shears - Skin Only as your first tool as it will be the most effective at cutting small to midsize branches. You can invest in the others later on.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Peachyspeechie 

Since your current motor is electric and your cordless line trimmer is unsatisfactory you're not committed to any brand. Though currently the best two consumer brands with the widest range of cordless products in both power tools and power garden is Ozito and Ryobi. Both brands offer extremely good warranties providing you keep a copy and register your receipts online. Once you select a brand of cordless the idea is that you stick with it in order to gain the benefit of using the same style battery pack fitment across their ranges. Arguably Ryobi will be the higher quality brand but at a cost. As you mentioned you are on a reasonably strict budget, then Ozito will be the better choice and allow you to choose better performing models still within your price range.

To start off with either brand the best and most cost effective way to enter the system is to purchase a product or two that includes a battery and charger as these sold separately are expensive. Ideally to start yourself off, having a large and a small battery pack will teach you that some tools need a lot of power and runtime with a heavier bigger battery whilst others are the opposite. 

Lawnmowers need a lot of energy to tackle thicker and longer grasses while line trimmers are less and then tools like the pruners very little. Noting your comment that you need a lawn mower that can handle sticks and roots is only going to cause premature wear and tear and possible serious damage as they are designed for cutting grass only.

Both brands use those plastic bladed cutters on their line trimmers you don't like. Next models up change to using more cost effective nylon line.

This would be my recommendations:

Line Trimmer

Lawn Mower which is about the size of your electric one. But if you can afford it, then this would be my preferred choice

Pruner which will use either of the batteries supplied with the line trimmer or mower and suitable to cut up to 25mm

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects