Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help diagnosing my mulberry tree problem

tiffanytoodles
Finding My Feet

Need help diagnosing my mulberry tree problem

Hello! I’m a total gardening noob and am trying to work on my backyard which is in total disarray. I put this mulberry tree in a few weeks ago and the leaves have a lot of dry brown patches. 

IMG_4631.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

We’ve had some pretty hot weather here (in Adelaide), probably wasn’t the best time to put it in haha. 

IMG_4629.jpeg

IMG_4628.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

Any advice for this beginner gardener would be greatly appreciated! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help diagnosing my mulberry tree problem

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tiffanytoodles. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Mulberry care.

Typically, it's best to transplant Mulberries when they are dormant from Autumn to early Spring. The leaf damage could be attributed to some stress, especially if you're experiencing hot weather. If the temps remain high, you might like to pop a few timber garden stakes around the plant and drape some 50% shade cloth over the top until the plant is established. While establishing the plant, give it at least two good long waterings per week and check periodically to ensure the soil 10cm down isn't bone dry. If it becomes dry, water the plant. If the soil is wet 10cm down, do not water the plant until it dries out a bit.

Here's a helpful guide: How to grow a mulberry tree.

At the moment, I would monitor it and apply some Seasol. As long as it's just a couple of leaves, then I wouldn't be too concerned. If the rest of the leaves start to brown as well, let us know.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Help diagnosing my mulberry tree problem

Great, thankyou so much! I will follow your advice ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects