Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Nails for brick veneer

sidbose1987
Getting Established

Nails for brick veneer

image.jpg

Hi Experts,

I am putting some hanging plants and got Jack wall bracket (https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-250mm-black-strap-wall-bracket_p3000245) now the surface I am going hook these brackets on is brick veneer. What nails I do I need because the surface is hard, do I need a power drill to drill it first to put any kind of nail? I could see in the customer review pictures people have mounted it on brick veneer surface or the material in between the bricks.

Thanks in advance,

Sid

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Nails for brick veneer

Hi @sidbose1987,

You'll need to drill into the brick and/or mortar and install plastic plugs. You can then screw into the plastic plugs to attach your brackets. These STAHL Masonry Kit 7mm Drill With 50mm Green Wall Plugs are exceptionally handy as they include the correctly sized drillbit, plugs and screws; it just takes the guesswork out of it.

You'll need a power drill with hammer function, such as the Ozito 710W Hammer Drill.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to drill into a brick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc i bought the screws kit. But didn’t buy the power drill, is there a work around without power drill? I have that XU1 18V one but it doesn’t have that much power and hammer mode as well. 

Unfortunately, you need a hammer drill to use a percussion masonry bit, which is included in the pack @sidbose1987. You could try one of these Multi-material drill bits in your drill. Do not run it at full speed; it needs to grind away at the material slowly.

Mitchell

No worries I think the right decision would be to buy one, so I will but the one you suggested is it good or good because of the price?

this is the other option, I can see the power difference, because I need to put in a hose reel as well in the front but the surface is same brick. Where would this double power be helpful?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1500w-5j-rotary-hammer-drill-kit-rhd-1550_p0382377

It is good because of the price, and it will do just about everything you need it to around the home, @sidbose1987. The unit you've linked above is a larger type of hammer drill and is not needed for simple tasks like drilling into masonry. If you want a slightly more premium product than the Ozito, I'd recommend the Ryobi 800W 13mm Corded Hammer Drill.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects