Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to weed and feed Wintergreen Couch lawn?

Shaunie007
Just Starting Out

How to weed and feed Wintergreen Couch lawn?

Hi all,

Just need some advice Re:

1. What fertilize and top soil is best for my Winter Green Couch?

2.  When's the best time and how many times should I fertilize and spread top soil on the grass?

3.  I have number of weeds that are growing in the grass- what's the best solution?

Many thanks for your assistance and advice.

Cheers

Shaunie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to weed and feed Wintergreen Couch lawn?

Hello @Shaunie007 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvelous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your couch lawn.

To care for Winter Green Couch grass, use a balanced slow-release fertilizer such as Scotts Lawn Builder 8kg All Purpose Slow-Release Lawn Fertiliser, which provides essential nutrients, especially nitrogen for lush green growth. Apply sandy loam topsoil for good drainage and nutrient retention. Fertilize during the active growing season, typically from early spring to late summer. Apply fertilizer in early spring, mid-summer, and a light application in late summer or early autumn. Topdress once a year in spring or early summer, spreading a thin layer (about 5 mm) of sandy loam over the grass to improve soil structure and level the lawn.

To manage weeds, manually remove them if few in number. For larger infestations, use a selective herbicide safe for couch grass, targeting broadleaf weeds. Apply pre-emergent herbicides in early spring to prevent weeds from germinating. 

Regular maintenance is crucial: mow to a height of 2.5–4 cm, water deeply but infrequently, and aerate the lawn to promote healthy grass growth and reduce weed competition. This approach helps maintain a lush, healthy lawn with minimal weed problems.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects