Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat eucalyptus preissiana disease?

Rupert92
Finding My Feet

How to treat eucalyptus preissiana disease?

Hi

My eucalyptus preissiana seems to have to some kind of disease. It was doing well last year but then stopped growing and the leaves started getting the dead spots seen in the photos. It then started to shoot out some new growth from the bottom of the plant a few months ago and as seen in the pics these leaves are also dying now.

It's in a spot inbetween my fence and patio where it receives partial sun but has more time in the shade than sun during winter.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can fix it? 

Thanks for the help 

Rupert

20240720_121949.jpg

20240720_121945.jpg

20240720_122001.jpg

20240720_122007.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Eucalyptus preissiana disease

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rupert92. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Eucalyptus diseases.

Your Eucalyptus might be suffering from a foliar pathogen, likely a fungal disease, indicated by dead spots on the leaves. These pathogens can cause leaf spots and decline. However, very little is known regarding the majority of fungi occurring on the foliage of Eucalypts. You might like to apply some Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. Other potential issues include nutrient deficiencies, environmental stress from improper watering, insufficient sunlight, and pests.

Eucalyptus requires around six hours of sunlight per day, so if it spends most of the day in the shade, it likely isn't happy about that. You might like to consider moving it to a location where it receives more sunlight.

Check your soil and ensure you haven't planted on a clay base. If the roots are waterlogged, that would also be an issue.

Let me mention one of our gardening experts @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat eucalyptus preissiana disease?

Hi @Rupert92 

From your photos, I think @MitchellMc is on target with his suspicions as to what may be causing the leaf spots and brown markings. Barky mulch can sometimes cause nutrient deficiencies too, which makes a plant more susceptible to diseases.

More direct sun, a copper spray to combat fungal diseases and attention to watering would all be beneficial.

Re: How to treat eucalyptus preissiana disease?

Hi @Noelle and @MitchellMc 

Thank you both for answers. The soil is just sand with no clay so i don't think that's the problem. I will buy the copper spray you suggested though and remove any bark from the mulch around it, hopefully that will help.

Thanks for your help! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects