Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat dwarf meyer lemon tree with yellowing leaves?

rmrama
Community Newcomer

How to treat dwarf meyer lemon tree with yellowing leaves?

Hi all and thanks for looking at my question. I've read and am aware of the options for treating yellowing leaves.  However I'm not sure how to determine cause.

I'm at Knoxfield Vic and my house is built on clay soil. The tree is planted into a rather large hole I dug last Dec. Filled up with seasol garden soil and richgro mushroom compost. Have been using a combination of Charlie carp pellets, power feed liquid, go go juice and seasol solution. Not all at once though. Especially go go and seasol. 

The tree has been growing well but I've noticed leave yellowing since spring. Lots of flower buds have formed the past month. Not sure if the yellowing is related. Pics will also show the tree growing actively to one side. I've trimmed the front side as the leaves on the branches were drying up. 

Tree gets about 2-³ hours of daily sun for now. Duration will increase as the days progress. Then pretty much nothing into the colder months.  

Any advise will be appreciated. 

IMG20241020191347.jpg

IMG20241020191405.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat dwarf meyer lemon tree with yellowing leaves?

Hi @rmrama,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's wonderful to have you with us. Also, many thanks for your question about your dwarf meyer lemon tree.

As you're aware, yellowing leaves can be related to nutrient imbalances, and by the sounds of your product applications, it is more likely an overabundance or inability to uptake those nutrients than a lack of nutrients. I'd suggest reducing the number of products you are using by switching over to a slow-release, citrus-focused fertiliser such as this Scotts Osmocote Citrus and Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser. For the time being, I would halt your product applications and wait a month or so before applying the slow-release fertiliser following the manufacturer's application instructions closely. This will simplify the process and ensure your tree is getting the right amount of nutrients.

Soil PH may also be a factor. If the PH of the soil is off, this can affect your tree's ability to intake those nutrients. Lemon trees like slightly acidic soil, between 5.5 and 6.5. Grab a Manutec Garden Care Products Soil PH Test Kit, test the soil and make adjustments accordingly. If the PH needs to be increased, add Richgro Natural Garden Lime, if it needs to be reduced add Yates Sulfur Soil Improver Granules.

Another potential reason for the yellowing is the clay soil. Clay soil tends to retain moisture, which can lead to waterlogging. While you've added good organic matter, the tree could still be struggling with drainage if the surrounding clay holds too much water. Improving drainage can be done by aerating the soil around the tree with a garden fork and adding Yates Gypsum Clay Breaker Soil Improver Granules

You should also always check the top 3-5cm of soil before watering. If the soil is damp, wait a few days before testing again. If the soil is dry, then water away.

You might also like to check out How To Grow And Care For a Lemon Tree for some additional guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects