Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Golden can palm yellow leaves?

IB
Just Starting Out

How to treat Golden can palm yellow leaves?

Are the yellow leaves on my  golden cane palm normal?  Is it a result of too much sunlight or lack of fertilizer?  Drainage is fine, watering is fine through a  micro jet system.

20240917_152433.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Golden can plam yellow leaves?

Hello @IB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your golden palm.

Perhaps the soil lacks nutrients, when was the last time you fertilized the soil?  The only other possible cause that comes to mind is that the pot is now too small for the palm. It might be time to repot it into a bigger container.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to grow and care for palm trees

Let me tag our experienced member @Noelle for her recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat Golden can palm yellow leaves?

Hi @IB 

Golden cane palms do tend to have a yellowy-green colour especially when they are growing out in full sun. Yours does not look malnourished or unhealthy, in my opinion. In a light shade position it may develop a little deeper colour.

An application of a slow release fertiliser now and again at the end of summer would be beneficial though, given it is in a pot where resources are limited, rather than in the ground.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects