Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Camellia with yellow leaves and white spots on trunk?

bobzhangaus
Finding My Feet

How to treat Camellia with yellow leaves and white spots on trunk?

my Camellia has some issues, yellow leaves, and white spots on the truck. I have sprayed Yate liquid copper fungicide, can you guys help me check the problem for Camellia?

pict1.jpgpict2.jpgpict3.jpg 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: my camellia has some issue

Hi @bobzhangaus,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The white spots on the tree appear to be lichen which is no cause for concern. If you wanted to remove it, you could simply rub it off with a brush, similar to how exfoliating your skin would work.

The yellowing of the leaves could be for a few reasons including nutrient deficiency, under watering and drainage issues.

I'd suggest inspecting the base of the tree to see if the soil is wet or dry. If the top 2-3cm of soil is bone dry, I would suggest giving the tree a good soak and then checking weekly for any change.

If the soil is sodden, then the issue could be to do with drainage. If this is the case, I would suggest carefully digging around the base of the tree with a garden fork and applying some compost such as this Osmocote 25L Scotts Compost Premium Soil Improver. This will help break up the soil, promoting drainage and microbial growth which will help the soil drain.

Finally, you should apply a general fertiliser such as Seasol 600ml Complete Garden Health Treatment to the base of the tree to increase the soil nutrients.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident garden guru to see if they've got any further advice.

You can also check out How to diagnose a sick plant for some further guidance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat Camellia with yellow leaves and white spots on trunk?

Hi @bobzhangaus 

I agree with Jacobz diagnoses and suggestions, with the exception of breaking up the soil around the tree with a fork!  Camellias are surface-rooted and dislike any root disturbance, such as digging over and around their roots. They will often react quite badly. A very like raking of the soil to break up any surface crust is all that should be needed here, before mulching with a good compost. However, my guess would be pack of moisture, since the shrub is growing in a small bed surrounded by paving - that's not an ideal situation for a camellia.

The yellowing leaves may also respond to a dose of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate). Dissolve a tablespoon or so in a 9L bucket of tepid water and irrighate over the roots. Magnesium deficiency often results in very yellow leaves, which your plant displays.

Re: my camellia has some issue

Hi Jacob,

thanks very much for your suggestion, I will follow your instructions.

Regards

bob

Re: How to treat Camellia with yellow leaves and white spots on trunk?

Hi Noelle,

got it ,thanks very much, I will try to process under your instructions.

Warm Regards

Bob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects