Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop rats eating my tomatoes?

Nessa77
Just Starting Out

How to stop rats eating my tomatoes?

Help!  Rats are invading my garden and chomping on the few red tomatoes we have.  They're not only eating what is at ground level, but also seem to be climbing up the vines and eating the others.

I've tried Ratsak pellets, Ratsak packets smeared with peanut butter and spraying citronella around the perimeter....all to no avail.

It's an enclosed bird proof garden, but clearly not rat proof.

I'd rather not traps, as then I'll have to dispose of the dead rat...something I don't particularly fancy.

Please help, as the tomatoes have been slow to ripen as it is and what I do get, is being eaten.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop rats eating my tomatoes?

Hello @Nessa77 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about protecting your tomatoes.

I suspect that the gap between the birdproof mesh is still too big and is allowing the rats to pass through. There could also be a weak point somewhere along the bottom of the mesh that the rats are using as an entryway into the garden. My first suggestion is to inspect the entire area and see if there has been damage to it or there is a gap underneath that's allowing the rats to pass through. 

If the mesh is intact there might be a tree branch or fence panel that the rats are using as a bridge to get in. If after checking thoroughly that there is no weak spot, I suggest taking the next step and that is to create an individual mesh cage for the tomato plant. I suggest using Whites 90cm x 5m x 6.5mm x 6.5mm Mouse Mesh. It's designed to prevent vermin access and is hot dipped galvanized to withstand the weather.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to build it. You'll need pliers and a Whites 0.70mm x 75m Wirepak Galvanised Tie Wire to stitch the ends together. I suggest using Whites Heavy Duty Pins - 10 Pack to keep the cage anchored to the ground. Please make sure to wear gloves and safety goggles when cutting and building the wire cage.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects