Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop pests eating my strawberry?

BismaAbbid
Just Starting Out

How to stop pests eating my strawberry?

Hi bunnings team,

I am new to gardening i planted alpine strawberries few months ago which was growing well someone start eating leaves from few weeks i sprayed leaf with eco bug spray , it wasnot working from last two weeks. 

1000032296.jpg

1000032299.jpg

1000032322.jpg

1000032298.jpg

1000032297.jpg

1000032322.jpg

1000032323.jpg

I spread slug bait around the pot but didn't help.Strawberry is also eaten today can you please tell me what can i do to save my strawberry as i donot know who is eating it.

Can you please tell me the little plant in the pics is runner as i am new to gardening donot know about runners and is the pot size is fine or i need to shift it in big pot as roots are coming out of pot and at this fruiting stage is it fine to repot.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: strawberry

Hello @BismaAbbid 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your strawberry plant. 

When you used the eco bug spray did you spray under the leaves as well? If not, I suggest spraying under the leaves for full coverage. There is something that's eating the leaves of your strawberry and it's difficult to tell what it is. I propose removing all the dead leaves and branches near the base of the strawberry plant. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric sure i'll do under leaf spray and should i do spray on strawberries as well. I'll remove dead leafs thanks for advice.

Hi @BismaAbbid,

The small plant you’re referring to could very well be a runner, which is a new plant that strawberries send out on long stems. Runners can take root and become a new plant, so they are a great way to propagate more strawberries.

As for the pot size, if you see roots coming out of the drainage holes, it likely means the plant is becoming root-bound and could benefit from a larger pot. Repotting during fruiting can be done, but be gentle to avoid disturbing the roots too much. Ideally, choose a pot that's at least 25-30cm wide to give your plant more room to grow.

If the plant is actively fruiting, just try to minimise stress during the repotting process, and it should continue to thrive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @BismaAbbid,

Just thought I'd add that strawberries are of course delicious to us, as well as many other critters. A possum, mouse or rat could be the culprit that took a bite out of your fruit. Any evidence nearby of droppings that might indicate who is coming to visit?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects