Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to setup and use Milano self watering planter?

rodsfofis
Just Starting Out

How to setup and use Milano self watering planter?

IMG_9678.jpeg

IMG_9675.jpeg

IMG_9677.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

   

Hello

Sorry about the silly question. I don’t have much gardening skills :smile:

May someone kindly explain to me how to effectively setup and use this Milano Respect self watering planter?

I’m planning to plant my dwarf fruit tree there, which will be left outdoors.

thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to setup and use Milano self watering planter?

Hello @rodsfofis 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Milano self-watering planter.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How does the Moda Self Watering Planter work? by @AllisonP. Generally speaking, when your plant is transferred to the self-watering planter, there is a gap created by the black plastic tray which prevents it from reaching the bottom.

This bottom section is a water reservoir which fills up and overflows through the little spout you see at the bottom of the pot. If the rubber plug is not removed water accumulates at the bottom of the pot and you'll need to wait for the water to naturally evaporate before watering again.

If the rubber plug is removed, water will spill out the overflow hole once the reservoir is full which is an indication that you should stop watering. Because the reservoir is full you do not need to water your plant as often.

In regards to transferring your fruit tree make sure to put in some potting mix in first before you transfer the tree into the pot. The sides of the transplanted tree can then be filled with more potting mix.

Here are some handy guides and discussions that will help:

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi I just purchased one of these as well. There is no hole anywhere on the pot so I don't understand how the overflow works ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ed1982. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about The Milano self watering planter.

Does your pot not have this little riser with a hole in the middle? The idea is that once the water fills up to the top of it, it then allows excess water to escape.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc I just purchased the pot today. It does have that little riser but there is no hole for the water to escape outside at the base/bottom of the pot - there is only the small hole you have circled on the picture 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ed1982 

Please allow me to double check the other pots at the store. I'll be passing by one of the big stores tomorrow and will have a chance to see if the overflow is blocked or not. 

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Great thanks @EricL if there isn't one would you be able to advise the best spot to drill a hole to create one? I've unfortunately already filled mine up with soil and planted a tree.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ed1982,

Drilling through any plastic blocking the spigot would be the correct place for the hole.

Just to confirm, does the spigot marked above not have a hole that transfers to the outside of the pot? The spigot is the only thing that is supposed to have a hole in the bottom of the pot. That's how it retains water in the base. Excess water flows into the top of the spigot and out the bottom of the pot. But it sounds like you're saying the spigot is blocked. If so, it would need to be drilled out.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc there is a spigot inside the pot that is unblocked but there is no hole outside. It didn't look like any of these pots had that outside hole when I purchased it yesterday 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ed1982,

I've had a team member check stock in-store. At the bottom of that little spigot, underneath the pot, there is a plug. If you remove this plug, you'll then have a hole from the bottom of the pot to the top of the spigot. Excess water will then drain out through the spigot once it reaches the top of it. 

Let me know if you can't find the plug on the bottom of the pot.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects