Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive newly planted Silver Birch trees?

MCW
Just Starting Out

How to revive newly planted Silver Birch trees?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently planted some Silver Birch trees (coming up to 3 weeks since they were planted). 

I have noticed some yellowing leaves near the base and also one trees branches seem to be drooping? I was watering once a day for the first 2 weeks but have now reduced to once every couple of days as i read that the yellow leaves are potentially due to over watering?

I am a novice gardener and just wondering if I am on the right track. I have attached some photos to help!

Thanks In advance,

MCW1st plant - Yellow leaves and branches seem to be drooping1st plant - Yellow leaves and branches seem to be drooping1st plant1st plant2nd plant - yellow leaves2nd plant - yellow leaves2nd plant2nd plant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive newly planted Silver Birch trees?

Hi @MCW,

It sounds like you're doing well by adjusting your watering schedule. Since your Silver Birch trees have had some time to establish, I recommend watering only when the soil starts to dry out a bit. Overwatering can indeed lead to yellowing leaves, so it’s good that you’ve cut back.

Keep an eye on the soil moisture—stick your finger in about an inch deep; if it feels dry, it’s time to water. Drooping branches can also indicate stress, but with the right care, they should perk up as they adapt to their new environment.

If you continue to see issues, consider checking for other factors like pests or soil quality. You're on the right track, so keep up the good work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects