Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive Teddy bear Magnolias?

Biah
Just Starting Out

How to revive Teddy bear Magnolias?

IMG_9269.jpeg

IMG_9270.jpeg

IMG_9275.jpeg

  

IMG_9276.jpeg

IMG_9273.jpeg

Hello.I have recently built a new house and established my gardens. I believe the soil was mostly a clay Mix. I planted two teddy bear magnolias approx 8 months ago however they have continued to get these funny leaves. 

I attempted to self diagnosis and treat by reading some of your previous posts but have had no luck and now at a loss of what to do - it reduces a little then comes back (any help, diagnosis or recommendations would be appreciated)

- they Were planted slightly raised and using a gardenia and azalea premium potting mix

I can't see any bugs 

Throughout the last 6 months I have tried:  
- mulching the area
- sporadically applying Yates Sulfur Soil Improver Granules (not sure how often I should by applying) 
- sporadically applying Yates copper fungaside (applied by spraying directly to leaf and trunk. Not sure if right or how often I should be applying)
- sporadically applied powerfeed pro rose & flower (not sure if right or how often I should be applying)
- sporadically applied Yates soil acidifier liquid

any help, a real diagnosis or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Teddy bears looking sad and at a loss

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Biah. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Magnolia care.

It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into treating your teddy bear magnolias, but the issue may stem from poor drainage due to the clay soil. Even though you planted them slightly raised, clay can still hold too much water around the roots, leading to problems like root rot. Magnolia trees need well-draining soil, so it's crucial to ensure water doesn't pool at the base.

The products you've used, such as the acidifier and sulfur granules, help magnolias thrive in slightly acidic soil, but overuse can lower the pH too much. Testing the soil pH might help to avoid this. Sporadic use of copper fungicide may not be enough to treat fungal diseases—regular application, especially in damp conditions, would be more effective.

For fertilisation, a slow-release option designed for acid-loving plants could provide more consistent nutrition than Powerfeed. Also, consider any environmental stress factors like wind, sun exposure, or inconsistent watering. With proper adjustments, your magnolias should start improving.

If your magnolias were planted over a clay base without raising them in a proper mound, this could be a key reason for the ongoing issues. Clay soil tends to hold water, and when the roots of these trees sit in wet conditions for extended periods, it can lead to root rot and other health problems. Magnolias will always struggle when their roots are constantly wet, as they prefer well-draining soil. If this is the case, you may want to consider relocating the trees to a better-draining area, growing them in large pots where you can control the soil composition, or raising them in high mounds to improve drainage. Any of these options could give the magnolias a better chance to thrive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects