Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamp garden strip at base of front fence?

tiger22
Finding My Feet

How to revamp garden strip at base of front fence?

The garden strip at the front of our house needs a revamp!! Unfortunately I am so clueless when it comes to gardening... and browsing on the internet, there seems to be conflicting information. We would be very grateful on any tips or even better yet a step by step guide on how we can get rid of the weeds in our garden strip (see photo below for reference), and regrow with some pretty low maintenance plants! I think it's gotten to the point where it's so bad we may have to pull everything out and have a clean slate..  Thank you in advance!! 

20230212_121008.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Revamping garden strip

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tiger22. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about establishing a front garden.

Starting with a fresh slate sounds like a good option, as I can't see much you could work with. I'd recommend spraying the area with RoundUp and, a week later, pulling out the weeds and any remnants of plants. I'd also recommend you look at the quality of soil there, and if it appears poor, replace a substantial amount of it with quality gardening soil. Using a quality mix will ensure that your new plants have the best chance of thriving in the area. To reduce maintenance further, I'd recommend laying weed matting over the area and cutting holes to plant through. The weed matting can then be covered with mulch or pebbles. The mulch will also help retain moisture and reduce the amount of water needed.

Once you've prepared the area, you need to decide what you are looking for regarding the appearance of your property. Australian natives are great low-maintenance options that thrive in our climate. Here's a helpful guide on How to design a thriving native garden. Given the proximity to the path, you'll need to consider dwarf varieties, so they don't overhang it. Another classic is using Buxus to create a low-lying hedge feature.

If you can let our helpful members know what you're looking for plant-wise, then I'm sure they have plenty of other suggestions.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi again @tiger22,

I just wanted to add that when using RoundUp, wear appropriate safety gear, such as a long sleeve shirt and pants, gloves, goggles, and a face mask.

Mitchell

Thanks very much!! This is super helpful! With the soil, mulch and plants - are there any specific ones you recommend that would not attract termites?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tiger22,

Do you have any existing termite issues? If so, I'd recommend you consider treating your property with termite spray. Please remember to follow the application instructions and wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, long-sleeved pants and shirt and enclosed footwear.

Mulch retains moisture, and the damp woodchips become termite food sources. If you have a termite problem, it would be best to use landscaping pebbles instead of timber-based mulch. Landscaping timber and edging can also be a food source, so limiting their use is best.

Typically small shrubs aren't particularly attractive to termites, so populating this area with your choice of plants isn't an issue. Soil-wise, subterranean termites feed on rotting wood, fallen trees, stumps or branches, so removing any dead material from the area is important. Using a potting mix won't specifically encourage them into the area.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitch - we don't have a termite issue at the moment but I believe our suburb is considered a termite prone area. Looks like there are termite resistant mulch options so we may look into that

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects