Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sleepers underneath fenceline?

AlanT
Community Newcomer

How to replace sleepers underneath fenceline?

I have removed a garden bed and the wooden sleepers under the fence line has rotted. I have just put down a concrete slab for a new shed but I think I need to fix this prior to the shed being installed. Is there an easy option to replace or cover with new sleepers?

IMG_7688.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace sleepers underneath fenceline?

Hello @AlanT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replacing your sleepers.

I suggest having a look at the other side of your fence to make sure that nothing will fallout or give way should you remove the sleepers. On the condition that the soil on the other side of the sleeper is stable, I propose using a multitool in combination with a Diablo 65mm Universal Fit Bi-Metal Multi-Tool Blade for Nail-Embedded Wood to cut into the side of the sleeper. The diablo blade is made to cut through nails so should you encounter any along the length of the sleeper simply cut it off so that you can pull the old sleeper out.

I recommend doing one at a time and double checking your measurements to make sure that the new sleeper fits into the old space. Please make sure to use galvanized or coated screws when re-attaching the sleeper back to the post and rails.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AlanT
Community Newcomer

Thanks Eric, that’s good information.  Would you suggest using galvanised brackets to screw into the fence posts?

IMG_5508.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AlanT 

If the posts are still in good condition, it should be ok to use the brackets.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @AlanT 

The sleepers have been positioned on their side behind the posts, which means you will have to dig them out from the neighbours side. This also means there is a high chance that the sleepers are retaining ground on your neighbours side as well as @EricL suggested. You might be able to agree on splitting the cost being a shared fence line. 

As good as those Diablo blades are, they won't reach or cut through either the gauge of nails or in particular batten screws in this situation. A demolition reciprocating blade designed to gut through multiple materials a lot faster, multiple times and with far more reach. Ignore they say wood cutting. They are poorly labelled. They go through hard embedded metals and has been my go to blade for nearly 10yrs. This is how I have tackled similar situations like cutting the old rotting sleeper retaining wall below. Then any metal stubs I cut off flush with either an angle grinder or usually a metal cutting recip blade. Once the soil has been cleared, make the cuts where the posts meet the sleepers on a 45deg. This will seperate the sleeper and make a start cutting any fixings.

When replacing the sleepers, use batten screws to fix them to the posts, so you wont need brackets. Then make sure you line the sleepers with builders plastic on each side with retained soil to extend the life of the sleepers

The exposed first post also looks to be rotting, so you may want to take the opportunity to reinforce or replace while the sleepers are out.

Hope this helps Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 9.13.39 PM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @AlanT 

Both @EricL and @Nailbag have suggested the things I would be trying :smile: Only other thing I can add is to put in some kind of drainage or make sure the ground is below your slab between it and the fence. I thought of chunky gravel to allow water to flow easily as well as stopping more soil coming through. I agree with Nailbag that the post that seems a little rotted should be looked at before you start the shed. Maybe even if you half fill that area with gravel and leave a colar around the existing posts so they dont stay wet could be factored in.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects