Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace outdoor tap?

banne
Just Starting Out

How to replace outdoor tap?

70A5ED57-377E-4B87-A0B4-8A8950186939.jpeg

 Hi, my tap is leaking from the handle part , it also can’t be turned off (handle doesn’t have a stop point - it just keeps spinning). What tap do I need to buy to replace this? Am thinking of using Bunnings $200 tap replacement service if it is not an easy job. However, I need to buy the tap first and not sure what I need to buy 

thanks 

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to replace outdoor tap, cant turn it off

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @banne. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking garden tap.

Removing the top assembly of the tap and replacing it with either a Kinetic 15mm Brass Garden Tap Top Assembly or Kinetic 20mm Brass Garden Tap Top Assembly would likely resolve the issue. I can't see any reason why the handle would freespin unless the spindle was snapped or the internal gear mechanism was stripped, so that's why I suggest replacing the assembly as it will include new washers that will seal that drip. If you take the faulty top assembly into your nearest store, a helpful team member will be able to match it up to the correct unit.

To remove the top assembly the mains water would first need to be turned off and the assembly removed with an adjustable spanner. I've highlighted the nut in the image below.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your reply.

I replaced the tap head with a 15mm tap. It fit well, however the tap is still running/leaking badly.

it looks like there may be a significant crack in the tap seat.

I would like to attempt to reseat it with a drill and tap reseat part. However, I can’t find a part suitable for a 15mm outdoor tap? I can only see a manual tap reseat. 

Another option may be for me to replace the entire tap but it looks welded to the pipe?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @banne,

I would be hesitant to go down the route of reseating if the crack is significant, as even after grinding a significant amount of the seat away, it might not resolve the issue. You could return the spindle assembly and replace the whole tap with a Kinetic 15mm Rough Brass Back Plated Tap. You would need a Brasshards 15mm Brass Compres Nylon Olives Pack Of 5 and Brasshards 15mm Brass Compression Nut to attach the tap to your pipe, if it were 15mm.

Is that tap only leaking from the spout now? If so, it's not the solution I would like, but you could install a Holman 2 Way Metal Tap Outlet that you could use to isolate the drip.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects